Monday, January 30, 2012

My First Cake

Since I have not baked anything recently, today I will show you my first cake. This wasn't the first cake I had ever made, I had made many before that, but this was the first cake I decorated somewhat professionally. This was right after I took a three day basic cake decorating course. Before this, decorated cakes for me would simply consist of a simple layer of frosting, and maybe adding some sprinkles or other decorations, but that was about it. Taking this course changed everything. It taught all about buttercream and piping; how to pipe borders, lettering, edging, and best of all, how to make buttercream roses (I'm still working on that one). This course was very enjoyable and helpful to me. After taking it, I went out and bought some more decorating equipment, whipped up some more cakes, and practiced, practiced, practiced. I learned so much about cakes and decorating techniques. 



This is the cake I decorated on the final day of the course. I was trying to practice many of the techniques I had learned. I used a simple one layer 8-inch round cake, iced in vanilla buttercream. Then I dyed the remainder of my buttercream blue to use for decorating.  The bottom border is a shell border. The top border is a star border. The top of the cake contains some piped rosettes. These three techniques were all done with the same star tip. I added some writing with a simple open tip. Then I made buttercream roses using a special flower tip and a flower nail. These were some of the first roses I had ever made. I am quite proud of them, considering it was 32C that day, and the buttercream was beginning to melt! Since this cake, I keep improving upon my decorating skills with each new cake. I love cake decorating. It is so fun and relaxing!

No comments: