Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year!

Well it's 2012 already!!! It is hard to believe 2011 has come and gone! I guess you could say 2011 was quite a successful year for me with respect to my culinary career. In July, I began this blog, and have posted something every day since. This will be my 163rd post. Of those 163 posts, 101 of them have been recipes I have prepared, photographed, and commented on. The majority of these items I had never made before. The remainder of the posts are cooking articles, tips and tricks, master recipes, or "just for fun" posts. So I suppose I did quite a bit of cooking and baking in 2011, as I also made a lot of items before I began my blog, and I do not post every single thing I make. Looking back at the list on the sidebar, I would say the creations I am most proud of are: 40th Anniversary Cake (August 28th), Baked Alaska (September 4th), Spooky Shepherd's Pie (November 1st) and Figgy Pudding (December 22nd).

I like to think of the start of a New Year as a time to dwell on the happy occasions in the past, and hope for many more in the year to come. There is no point in worrying about the mishaps that occurred in the past, as they are only little bumps in the road meant to help you improve. With that being said, I will not get upset about the time my chocolate cake overflowed onto the oven floor, or when I completely forgot about a batch of muffins baking in the oven. These little mishaps happen to the best of us and teach important lessons: don't overfill cake pans, and use a timer!

At this time, many people make New Year's Resolutions. A great resolution to make is to eat healthier and be more active. Enjoy a healthy, balanced diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and low-fat dairy. And remember to indulge in your favorite treats once in a while. I know I plan to continue, and even improve upon, my culinary career in the new year. Best wishes for health and happiness in 2012!

PHOTO CREDIT:"Happy.New.Year.jpg"   http://www.duy.im/2011/10/happy-new-year-2012.html.Daily Pics, n.d. Sunday, January 1, 2012.

No comments: