Monday, January 23, 2012

Crunchy Multi Seed Loaf

Yesterday I had the craving to make and enjoy some homemade bread but I didn't have a lot of time to do it. I didn't have the time to mix up the dough, I didn't have the patience to knead, and I didn't have the oven space to allow the dough to rise. So I took the easy way out and made a quick-bread, more like a loaf. Loaf breads are a lot quicker and easier than making traditional yeast breads, and they can also turn out quite well. They aren't quite as sturdy as yeast bread, and they are usually richer, so they are not the ideal choice for sandwiches. They are an excellent choice for breakfast and snacks though. Loaf breads use chemical leavening such as baking powder or baking soda in place of yeast, so they do not need to pre-rise. They also tend to be moister and sweeter than yeast breads. This loaf was very moist, sweet, and soft. The taste and texture reminded me of banana loaf without the banana. This loaf contained whole wheat flour, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, buttermilk, and egg, making it quite hearty and nutritious.

No comments: