Sunday, May 08, 2016

Chocolate Coffee Cake

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there! For Mother's Day this year, I decided to combine two of my mother's favorite flavors, chocolate and coffee, into her cake. I didn't want to make a frosted, piped and decorated cake this year, so I went for something different. I would call it zuccotto-style, but certainly not a true zuccotto. Zuccotto is a semi-frozen dessert consisting of cake, liquor, a cream filling, and usually a glaze. It is a dome-shape.
For this cake, I baked two eight inch round moist chocolate cake layers. Once cool, I pressed one into a plastic-wrap lined bowl. I filled it with a coffee cream filling, then topped it with the other cake layer. I froze it to firm the filling, then inverted it onto a plate. I glazed it with a simple chocolate glaze, and decorated it with chocolate truffles, and coffee icing.

No comments: