Sunday, May 15, 2016

Competition Prep and Packing

Have I ever mentioned how much work it is planning and packing for competitions? It is almost easier and less stressful to do a blackbox competition where you don't know what you are cooking until after you arrive and you have all your ingredients and equipment laid out in front of you. Whereas with planned competitions, you need to practice, practice, practice; develop, test, taste, revise, and write up recipes; make lists, lists, and more lists; complete all documentation, print it out, print labels, dry diagrams; figure out plating schemes; ensure all plates are balances in flavors, textures, colors, nutrition, and the meal is well rounded; pack all your equipment and find ingredients; get feedback; and much more. This is especially tricky for away competitions. In my case today, I am packing for a competition I will need to take two taxi rides and two flights to get to. And I don't want to pay huge fees to lug an entire kitchen set-up in a big trunk, or all my ingredients in a cooler, and I don't want to lug too much stuff with me. On the other hand, i want to be well prepared and have enough equipment, ingredients, and uniforms to work with. I packed all my small amounts of dry ingredients and luckily had a contact in the area who took me grocery shopping for fresh produce, dairy, and liquids. I managed to fit nearly all my equipment in one suitcase; plus another suitcase for personal items. I had to bring my own plates and they had to be well-wrapped and taken in a carry on and eighteen plates are HEAVY. And I wouldn't give it up. I love competitions!

No comments: