Thursday, April 02, 2015

Passion In Work

In case you didn't realize, yesterday's post was another April Fools' Joke. It's true, I do have a great passion of all things culinary, but it is not true that I do not want to turn that passion into a career. Working with food will not destroy me nor my passion, it will further ignite it. I know it won't always be easy but I am ready for the challenge and more than willing to give it all I've got. Even after a rough day, I know this is what will make me happy. 

Some people think cooking is easy, or that it isn't a very reputable career. This could not be further from the truth. Sure, many people cook at home and do a great job of it. But cooking in an establishment is much more difficult and much different. At home, you don't have a strict timeline, an assortment of different dishes on the menu, crowds of people, paying patrons, tough critics, and the reputation of an entire business on the line. This creates a super stressful environment. On top of that, think about kitchens - sharp knives, fires, hot stoves, steam tables, large, heavy equipment, and food every where. Not the safest and easiest environment to work in. 

So then why is this such a popular career choice? It's all about the passion. Some people have such a strong passion for food, that they love their job and are happy to report to work every single day. You will notice there are some very passionate chefs out there, who have a lifetime career in the industry. There are also some not so passionate chefs, who usually don't last as long. I love food, and I love cooking, and I love everything to do with it, even working in a commercial environment. 

No comments: