Sunday, April 05, 2015

Easter Egg Cake

I like to bake and decorate a cake every year for Easter. And of course, I always like to change it up. I've done plenty of bunny head cakes in the past, as well as a full bunny cake, a chick cake, a basket cake, cupcakes, and a cake with a bunny and a chick. I've done chocolate, carrot, pineapple, spice, red velvet, and hummingbird cakes. This year I decided to make a lemon Easter egg cake with vanilla buttercream filling and chocolate ganache. 

To make the egg cake, I baked my lemon cake in two eight inch round pans. Once cool, I cut both cakes in two pieces, slightly off the center. I frosted the bottom of both larger pieces with vanilla buttercream and sandwiched them together, cut portions down, on a platter. Then I frosted one side of each of the smaller pieces and stuck them on either side of the large pieces. Then I trimmed the cake so it was level and more egg-shaped. Next, I covered the entire cake with chocolate ganache. Then I colored the buttercream purple, yellow, and green to decorate the cake. I used different tips - a grass tip to decorate the tray around the cake, a flower tip to make purple flowers, a yellow tip to make stars and decorations. I also wrote Happy Easter in the middle of the cake.

When constructing this cake, it helps to briefly freeze the layers before cutting and decorating to make them firmer and less crumbly. In an upcoming post I will share the lemon cake recipe.

No comments: