Monday, August 13, 2012

Hearty Biscuits

This is a biscuit recipe my uncle gave me. I love to make hearty breads with nutritious ingredients such as flax, bran, and whole wheat flour, so I was eager to try this recipe. I thought I was one of the few people who really enjoys all of these healthy breads, but I guess not. These biscuits also contain heart-healthy olive oil and honey and molasses, which are slightly more nutritious alternatives to just sugar. They also add a very nice flavor. These biscuits are quick and easy to make, and next time I will probably double the recipe. They are good for breakfast with peanut butter, or jam, butter, molasses, or honey. They go well with fruit and cereal. Because they are a batter and do not require kneading, they are also very moist.
Hearty Biscuits
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
drop of molasses
3/4 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add in the butter, and toss in the oil, honey, and molasses. Stir in the milk. Drop dough by tablespoons onto a greased or lined baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes until golden. 

No comments: