Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Choc PB Crumble Bars

My grandmother also made these squares (can you tell I was visiting her this past weekend?) They are another recipe from that magazine we both had, and another recipe she managed to try before me. I remember first getting the magazine, and my mother saying to me how good these squares looked. I guess we three generations all think alike. When she was visiting a few months ago, my grandmother asked me about the chocolate squares called for in the recipe, and if she could substitute chocolate chips instead, and how many she would need. So I wrote her a little note with all of the conversions on it. She took that note and soon made these squares, and of course kept some aside in the freezer for me and others to try. I am sharing the recipe and my feedback on these squares, because I have not baked recently since I was on vacation, and also because I like to rate and share recipes that not only I made, but others made too. I also like to review foods from restaurants, stores, and bakeries. These squares are very good. I am a big fan of any oat squares, and the chocolate and peanut butter flavors balance well, without the peanut butter being too strong and overwhelming. They also seem quite easy to make.
Choc PB Crumble Bars
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 squares (one ounce or 28 grams each) semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 inch rectangular cake pan.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar. Mix in the oats, flour, and soda well. Press three cups of this mixture into the prepared pan, reserve the remaining mixture.
In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt the chocolate and stir in the peanut butter. Spread over crumb mixture in pan. Top with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.

 "Peanut Butter & Chocolate Crumble Bars.”  http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/peanut-butter-chocolate-crumble-132516.aspx . Kraft, n.d. Wednesday, August 8, 2012. 

No comments: