Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cherry Peach Muffins

This is a recipe I found and revised. I had a container of cherry yogurt in the fridge that I did not really like. There was nothing wrong with it, just not the type I like and am use to. I certainly did not want to waste it, so I found a recipe that actually called for a large amount of cherry yogurt. Then I changed around the rest of the recipe to match the ingredients I had. The original recipe did not call for peaches, but I think they pair well with the cherry flavor. The cherry yogurt I used was a very thick, Greek fruit on the bottom yogurt, so I made sure it was well stirred before using. It added a few chunks of real cherry and it also had quite a bit of sugar, which made the muffins fairly sweet. The yogurt also made the muffins nice and moist, even though the batter seemed fairly dry and thick as I was mixing it. It was not nearly as liquidy as most muffin batters, and I was thinking of adding a splash of milk, because the recipe does not call for a liquid besides eggs and yogurt. The muffins did not need it though, the yogurt is sufficient liquid to bind the ingredients together. I got 15 large muffins out of this batch, and they rose quite nicely!

Cherry Peach Muffins
1/4 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1 1/2 cups cherry yogurt
2 1/3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup peeled, chopped fresh peaches (2 medium)

Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or grease them. 
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, then extract and yogurt. In a separate large bowl, stir the next four ingredients together, make a well. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir until just moistened. Stir in the peaches. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until muffins are well risen, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments: