Saturday, January 30, 2016

First Place In Cheese Competition

Today I participated in my first-ever culinary competition. I planned for weeks, tested out recipes I wanted to use, wrote and revised my menu, made excessively detailed time management sheets, and didn't sleep much last night. I was excited and nervous at the same time. My black box (mandatory) ingredients were: feta cheese, double cream brie, ricotta cheese, cheese curds, cornish game hens, and frozen raspberries. This was supplemented with a not so extensive general parstock list. I won't get into all the nitty-gritty details. Things were going well, despite the fact I had only picked up four eggs instead of the eight I needed and not nearly enough sugar, and we could no longer get more ingredients from parstock.

I made very good time, all my components worked, and I got my plates out. I cleaned up, and awaited the judges deliberation and the award ceremony. After third place, then second place were announced, I gave up hope and chalked the competition up to 'good experience'. I wish someone had caught my facial expression on camera when my name was announced as first place! I could not believe it; all my hard work had paid off! Here is a look at my menu; I may or may not share my award-winning recipes here soon.

No comments: