Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Heart Biscuits

These biscuits are based from my go-to biscuit recipe I devised myself. I haven’t found a tastier, easier biscuit to make and this recipe never fails and can be manipulated in different ways. Here is the base formula

Basic Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup cold butter or hard margarine, cut into cubes
1 cup milk

Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the milk to form a soft dough and knead briefly until it just comes together. Roll or pat out to desired thickness and cut as desired. Bake until golden.
Variations
Flour: Try whole wheat, a mix, ground oats, or adding in other whole grains.
Sweet: Cut back on the salt and add up to two tablespoons of granulated sugar to use dough for sweeter applications.
Fat: Both butter and margarine work well. Use a compound butter for extra flavor, or cream cheese for extra richness.
Milk: I have had success with evaporated, powdered, and fresh milk of varying milk fat percentages.
Baking: I have been able to bake these at temperatures ranging from 350F to 425F – all work but the lower the temperature, the longer they take. Higher temperatures also make the biscuits slightly crispier. I always bake them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Preparation: I have prepared the dough ahead of time and refrigerated before rolling and cutting. I have also prepared biscuits and refrigerated those before baking. I have also mixed up the dry ingredients and had the butter cubed and ready to go and the milk poured in advance.
Applications: Use for basic biscuits, crescent rolls, pizza roll-ups, crusts for meats, croissants, shortcakes for desserts, turnovers, toppings for casseroles and soups, and more. The dough holds filling really well.

No comments: