Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Garden Brussels Sprouts

It is Brussels sprout season! Brussels sprouts have a relatively short season that corresponds around Thanksgiving. I really like Brussels sprouts, but I don't get to eat them very often. I find you either really like Brussels sprouts, or you don't. Some people enjoy the bitter taste and cabbage-like layers of texture, and others do not. Brussels sprouts can be slightly chewy or firm if they are not overcooked, or soft and tender if steamed longer. I find Brussels sprouts are best when combined with simple flavors - they can be incorporated into more complex dishes but I find this hides them, and if you need to hide them to enjoy them, then they aren't really worth eating, and there are plenty of other vegetables. Some simple flavors to pair with Brussels sprouts are: balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, orange and red onion, lemon juice and garlic, maple and bacon, and more. Brussels sprouts can be steamed, boiled, roasted, baked, or sautéed.

These are the Brussels sprouts my father grew in our small backyard garden. We did not have a large yield, but I was both impressed and surprised considering this was his first year growing them and I wasn't aware he had planted them. They were ready for me just when I came home at Thanksgiving. We just satuéed them up in a little oil. Because it was still early in the season and these were garden-grown, they are quite small compared to the Brussels sprouts you would purchase at a grocery store. However, their flavor is the same (no sweeter actually), and there is nothing quite like fresh vegetables from your own backyard. 

No comments: