Monday, January 20, 2014

Dark Chocolate Cake

This is a new chocolate cake recipe I decided to try instead of making my usual chocolate cake. Dark chocolate is my favorite, and although I wouldn't necessarily categorize this cake as a really dark chocolate cake, it is dark in color and has a nice flavor and a texture that is easy to work with. It is not quite as moist as my other chocolate cake, but I like how this makes a nice big batch of cake but doesn't require any extra effort. I used it for my Luigi cake from yesterday's post, and I used the extra batter to make cupcakes which I will feature in tomorrow's post!

Dark Chocolate Cake
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water
1 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
2 cups granulated (white) sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups all-purpose (plain) flour

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line baking pans. 
Baking options: three 8-inch round pans, three 9-inch round pans, three 8x8-inch square pans, three 9x9-inch square pans, one 9x13-inch pan plus one pan from the previous options, 36 cupcakes, 72 miniature cupcakes.
I baked one 9x13-inch pan, 6 cupcakes, and 24 miniature cupcakes.
In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water slowly over the cocoa. Whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool. 
In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy. Cream in the sugar until dissolved. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. 
Add the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup of flour, mix well. Mix in half the cocoa mixture, followed by another cup of flour, the remaining cocoa mixture, and the remaining 3/4 cup of flour, mix well. Pour batter in prepared pans. Baking time will vary depending on pan size, but 9x13-inch and 8 or 9-inch round or squares will take around 30 minutes. Cupcakes take 20 and miniature cupcakes take 10-15. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

No comments: