1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
2 cups granulated (white) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350◦F. Grease or line cake pans.
In a small bowl, whisk the cocoa and water together until smooth. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in 1 cup flour, the baking soda and salt. Beat in cocoa mixture. Beat in remaining four, then buttermilk until just smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake according to pan size.
This batch will make approximately:
- three 8-inch or 9-inch round or square pans (~40 minutes)
- two 7x11 or 9x13 rectangular pans (~35-40 minutes)
- one 10x15 inch pan (~25-30 minutes)
- 36 cupcakes (~20 minutes)
- 72 miniature cupcakes (~10-15 minutes)
- three 9x5 inch loaf pans (~45 minutes)
- other shaped pans of other sizes