Thursday, January 03, 2013

Chocolate Éclairs

Here are the finished chocolate éclairs! What a great way to start off the new year. Well, maybe not if you made a resolution to diet, but I certainly did not! They are based with the choux pastry from yesterday. Here is how I assembled them. Since I made the éclairs fairly thin, instead of cutting them in half for the top and the bottom, I just used two to form each éclair. I matched up two that were relatively the same size. Then I dipped one from each pair in chocolate sauce, and piped chocolate whipped cream on the other. After the tops had set a bit, I placed the top on the bottom, and voila! Of course I set the éclairs on a decorative plate for more presentation. Desserts like these are best if assembled shortly before serving. I baked the dough the night before, then filled them and put them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving and they were fine. Leftovers will last for the next day but can turn a little soggy. Often it is best just to eat them all right away or fill them as needed.

Chocolate Whipped Cream
1/2 cup whipping cream 
1/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whip the cream in a bowl, gradually adding the sugar as eating. Once stiff, fold in the vanilla and cocoa.

Chocolate Sauce 
1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
pinch salt
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, stir the first four dry ingredients. Stir in the water and vanilla. Heat until boiling, stirring often, then boil for three minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly before using. Good warm or cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. 

No comments: