Thursday, January 31, 2013

Basic Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies: a classic, favorite, well-known recipe with so many variations. This is yet another chocolate chip cookie recipe we have tried in this house. My mother's typical chocolate chip cookie recipe is her recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that she has been using for years. My standard, go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe is the secret recipe I created myself, and I usually make them jumbo, soft and chewy cookies, but I have made regular-sized ones using the same recipe as well. I have tried a few other basic chocolate chip cookie recipes, some with good results, some just okay, but they were never quite as good as my version. The same goes for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my mom's take the cake (or cookie). I must admit, my grandmother's version is also good, with a little cinnamon added for flavor, but I like them both for different reasons. If I stray from my typical chocolate chip cookie recipe, it is usually just to make double chocolate chip cookies, or a different type of chocolate chip cookie. Double chocolate chip cookies are even better than just chocolate chip cookies, in my opinion, as I live by the motto, "The more chocolate the better." There are many really good double chocolate chip cookie recipe out there (or triple chocolate  or quadruple chocolate), that I have not chosen a favorite yet.
Anyways, the other day my mother was searching for another, easy, basic chocolate cookie recipe. I had a few suggestions in mind, but she settled on one she found. They turned out good, certainly not my favorite, but definitely nothing wrong with them. They simply tasted like a basic chocolate chip cookie, nothing special  just sweet, chocolaty, and tasty. The recipe said it was an easy cookie that didn't flatten too much, although both my mother and I agreed they did turn out a bit flat. These are also definitely a crispy cookie version rather than a soft and chewy one. I do prefer the latter usually, but nevertheless, this just goes to show how much variation there is out there in one simple baked good of chocolate chip cookies, and how everyone has different preferences. 

No comments: