Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dad's Cinnamon Raisin Bread

On the weekend, I cam home from work to find the enticing aroma of freshly made cinnamon raisin bread. My father decided to do some baking, and try his hand at bread again. My father does not do much baking, although he does do a bit of cooking, but he is very good at it when he does bake! He was talking about how he was disappointed that all of our Panettone from Christmas was gone, so I guess he was craving some fruit bread. It isn't really the season for Panettone anymore, and we didn't have all of the ingredients, plus that is my specialty, so my mother suggested he try his hand at cinnamon raisin bread again. My father has tried to make bread before. Some of his white breads have turned out a little heavy, or dense, or salty, but not all bad. He grew up watching his other make bread on a regular basis, and he had tried to make raisin bread like her recipe before too. That one did not turn out as good as hers, or course. So he decided to try a simple, modern recipe. I am happy to report that this one turned out very well! It yielded too large, beautifully risen loaves of white bread flavored with cinnamon and speckled with soft raisins. The bread was delicious, soft and fluffy with a nice crust. It is really good warm from the oven, but excellent toasted with a little butter, and perhaps some cheddar cheese if you have it. It makes good sandwiches, breakfast, or snack. I am really happy this bread worked out so well this time, and that I can enjoy eating it. Hopefully Dad will make some again. I love to bake myself, but when time is short and I am busy, I certainly don't mind others baking for me. It is nice to taste other peoples creations for a change, and see their techniques and recipes. And who can resist warm bread from the oven?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Krintie Mick!!