Friday, January 18, 2013

Nutella Chocolate Cake

I recently received a inquiry with regards to a chocolate cake made with Nutella, or chocolate hazelnut spread. Why not? Nutella is delicious  and chocolaty and why not use it in a cake? There must be some good Nutella chocolate cake recipe somewhere! So I searched online, and of course just like anything you search online, I found several results. Many were rich, souffle-like cakes or tortes. Most of them also incorporated more hazelnuts to complement the Nutella. I am planning on decorating this cake, so I just wanted a plan cake I could ice. Here is the recipe I used for my Nutella chocolate cake. 

Nutella Chocolate Cake
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated (white) sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup Nutella
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350◦F. Grease and flour or line with parchment paper two nine inch round pans or one rectangular 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix the first four dry ingredients. 
In a separate large bowl, beat the butter. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the dry ingredients, adding a little of the milk with them. Add remaining ingredients and beat well until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for 30-40 minutes or so, depending on the pan, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

No comments: