Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mathematical Cupcakes

This is how I decorated the quick chocolate cupcakes I made last night. Decorating them was pretty quick as well. I made my standard vanilla buttercream icing, then piped swirls in circles on the cupcakes with an open star tip to cover the entire surface of the cupcake. I did not want to make tall swirls, as I was planning on adding some piping on top of the swirls, so I just kept the swirls at one level. I find this easier and more visually appealing than spreading icing on with a knife. Then I tinted some buttercream blue and used a plain, round open tip to pipe math related symbols and words on the cupcakes. I have a sin, cos, tan, theta, radical, multiply, divide, add, subtract, x, and pi . I kept the symbols simple and easy to pipe, as it is difficult to pipe out complicated math formulas on small cupcakes. I will save those for full-sized cakes.

No comments: