Saturday, December 10, 2011

The List

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you about the never-ending list I have going. Anytime I see a recipe that sounds appealing, and every time I come across a new recipe I want to try, I write it down on my list. My list is now composed of hundreds of recipes I would like to try from a variety of sources. I come across new recipes and tasty new ideas on a daily basis, so my list is constantly being updated. I try to keep my list as organized as possible, but that is not easy when it just keeps growing and growing. I keep this list recorded in a simple notebook, organized by sections. The sections are by recipe source (cookbook, magazine, newspaper article, online), and categorized farther by author and recipe type (meal, snack, dessert). I turn to this list every time I need to bake something, as it gives me ideas of what I should make. Beside the recipe name, I write the source, the page number (if applicable) , and how much the recipe will make. This makes it very convenient to simply flip through the notebook when I want to bake something, and easily find a recipe with a suitable yield, using ingredients already on hand. When I make an item from this list, I write the date I made it, and some comments and ratings next to it. It seems like I add ten more items for every one I cross off. Some day, probably far off in the future, I will finally get through this entire list. I don't often make the same items twice, only if they are particularly good, because I love to try new recipes.You may be wondering why I am not baking something from the list today, instead of rambling on about it. You see, it is nearly impossible for me to bake everyday. There are time constraints, and other chores that need doing. Plus, if I baked everyday, there is no way everything I baked would ever get eaten! Now, I must go add some more recipes I just found to my list...

No comments: