Saturday, September 24, 2011

Mom's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies

To my delight, when I walked in the door earlier today, I could smell the enticing aroma of my mother's famous Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are simple oatmeal chocolate chip, but my mom makes them like no one else! The recipe is actually from Company's Coming "Cookies". My mother has generously given the recipe to a few different friends over the years, but none of their cookies ever turned out like my mother's. They just were not the same thing at all. So I am sharing the recipe with you, but I'll bet yours won't be as good as my mom's!
Oatmeal Chip Cookies
1 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add vanilla.
Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake in 350F (180C) oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 5 dozen.

See, the recipe is quite simple. The original recipe also calls for 3/4 cup medium coconut, but my mother has never added that. It also says you can make an oatmeal chip pizza by pressing 3 cups dough into greased 12 inch (30 cm) pizza pan. Sprinkle with semisweet and butterscotch chips, nuts, coconut, candy coated chocolate (Smarties, M & M's), and any other treat you like. Allow a bit more time to bake. We have never tried the pizza recipe, but it sounds good!
A few more tips: my mother always lines the cookie sheets with foil. which works really well, and usually opts for hard margarine over butter, for a firmer, crispier cookie. These cookies are soft and chewy straight out of the oven, but once cool are very crisp and crunchy and delicious!

Paré, Jean. "Oatmeal Chip Cookies." Recipe. Cookies, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 1988. 27.

No comments: