Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dining Out

Just today I realized that I have never talked about restaurants or eating out on my blog. There is so much I could say about this topic, but I will start off with my opinion on eating out in general.To tell the truth, I have mixed feelings about dining out. I am actually not a huge fan of it. I would prefer to have a hearty, home-cooked meal, whether it is made by me or someone else. This way I know exactly what is in my food, and the meal is almost always more nutritious than restaurant fare. There are also more options and alterations available when dining in. For example, maybe you want to order the baked fish, but don't like the fact that it comes with a side of french fries. Or maybe you are a huge fan of roasted chicken, but will get heartburn from the garlic seasoning. I also am not a fan of restaurant atmosphere. You are always dining with strangers, or acquaintances you would rather choose to avoid, in a crowded, noisy atmosphere with lighting that certainly is not prime, and temperatures that are usually disagreeable. I prefer to eat in the comfort of my own home. Eating out is also more expensive, and usually the portion sizes are much too large anyway.

However, there are some aspects of dining out that I enjoy. I like being able to try new foods, things I normally would not have access to at home. I also like how restaurants can accommodate large crowds of people for gatherings, and many even have private banquet rooms. But, as you can see, this list is a lot shorter than my list of cons.

I can understand why people eat out once in a while, especially when on vacation. Some people dine out for celebrations, some for convenience. I think it is always possible to have home-cooked meals that are more convenient and affordable, by way of make-ahead and freeze, slow-cookers, or prep in advance. However, I know that supper isn't always the first thought on people's minds, and restaurants are a quick and easy way to get that meal in. I think that people also eat out at restaurants because they believe the food is much better than what they could ever make, which isn't always true.

Do not get me wrong, I am not totally against eating out once in a while. In fact, it is a great way to consume some balanced meals while on vacation, and presents a nice opportunity to try new foods. Moderation, healthier choices, and portion size are key!

No comments: