Monday, September 28, 2015

Chocolata

I got in early again and got straight to work on three jobs – making spice bread, making chocolate mousse, and making a fruit platter for the spa. The head chef was making another 200 or so Bailey’s cheesecakes, so we had to share space again. I was in fine shape for service tonight (forty-four diners) but decided to get a bunch of little prep jobs done ahead for whoever takes over this section. So I made delice chocolate toffee, milk chocolate mojito slice, white chocolate lime ganache. I also cut crème brulée and made exotic fruit pearls, cut up some cheese, and made caramel. I scooped my sorbet (blackcurrent) and made my breads (tomato basil, honey mustard, black olive pesto). Then I set up for service and did all my labelling.
Chocolata, chocolata, chocolata.....
 Service was swell, I helped with apps and veg and potatoes and starters when I wasn’t doing pastry. It seemed like no one was ordering desserts, then of course after everyone else had left, I got about six or seven pastry orders at once to do, and everyone wanted dessert! That’s just the way it is sometimes. I received several compliments today. One of the servers told me a chef de partie in the bar would definitely miss me and had called me the “role model student”. Several of the servers said what a great job I had done – how of all the interns I was the best, and stuck it out the longest. They all ask me if I enjoyed it, if I am happy to go home, and if I will come back. Two diners raved about my mojitos tonight for ten minutes (according to their server) and the head server told me that last night one person had asked about me – if I was a female chef on pastry, and if I was classically French-trained, and was impressed by my desserts! Honestly, when I walked into this internship my confidence was low and I was scared I would just eek by and make a lot of mistakes, but now, I feel I really achieved some great things!

No comments: