Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Turnip Fries

The other day I wanted to cook myself up a vegetable side dish, but I wanted it to be a little something different instead of simply a steamed vegetable, and I wanted to use something in season. So I spotted a nice looking locally grown turnip while shopping the other day, and decided to do something with that. I got my inspiration from the home fries my parents and I often like to make as an easy tasty side dish with meals - baked potatoes cut in fry shapes. I have heard of carrot, sweet potato ,and parsnip fries and decided to try turnip fries as well. The concept is the same - cut into thin strips and bake at a high temperature until tender and crisp. Season with salt, pepper, herbs, spices, and drizzle with oil as desired. The taste is definitely not the same as potatoes, but of all these vegetables, turnips and parsnips are not too far off, and the texture is surely similar and satisfying.

To make these turnips fries, I placed them on a baking sheet lined with foil with a little bit of oil, curry powder, paprika, and ground black pepper. Then I baked them at 425F for 30 minutes, flipping them every ten minutes or so, until tender and crisp. Dip 'em in ketchup and you won't even notice the difference! 

No comments: