Saturday, August 16, 2014

Lemon Whoopie Pies

I have only ever made, and eaten, whoopie pies once in my life. So I was very excited when I made them for the first time a little over a year ago (see the link here, which also explains more about whoopie pies,{Chocolate Whoopie Pies}). Recently I received a whoopie pie pan as a present. Whoopie pie pans are not necessary to make whoopie pies, as they can be scooped onto a cookie sheet like regular cookies, but they do make the process simpler and make the pies more uniformly-shaped. Actually, originally I had been looking for a muffin-top pan, but they prove to be a bit trickier to locate than whoopie pie pans. Since they are similar, I am hoping I can use my whoopie pie pan to make muffin tops as well - I will be sure to try it soon!
Lemon Whoopie Pies
juice of one lemon, plus enough milk to make 1/2 cup*
1/4 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 large egg
finely grated zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup all-purpose (plain) flour

*This will make buttermilk, or soured milk, though it will be more sour as usual due to the large addition of lemon juice. This will just add more lemon flavor. You should use approximately 1/4 each of lemon juice and milk.

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a twelve cavity whoopie pie pan.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. beat in the egg and lemon zest. Stir in the powder, soda, salt, and half of the flour. Stir in the milk mixture, then the remaining flour.

Spoon two tablespoons of dough into each cavity, and gently smooth. Bake for about ten minutes, until lightly golden on the bottom and pies spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan for eight minutes, then remove. Cool completely before filling.

No comments: