Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Homemade Angel Food Cake

I know I keep talking about my puzzle cake, but I promise this will be the last post about it until my next attempt. It's just there are so many components to it that I would like to share them all. The final component is perhaps the most essential - the cake itself. This was my first time making an angel food cake from scratch. It just seems so easy to buy one or make it from a mix, although I suppose that is true for almost any cake. The issue with angel food cake is one recipe requires an entire carton of eggs - but only the whites. What do you do with all those yolks? Unless you are planning to make a bunch of custard or crème brulée in the near future, there isn't a whole lot else to do with them. I don't like to waste, which is probably why I do not tend to make angel food cake. However, a good option is to buy a carton of liquid egg whites - eggs already separated from the yolks. You will likely need an entire carton, and any extras can easily be cooked and eaten as a fat-free egg dish or added to whole eggs for a lighter texture. 

Angel food cake is very easy to make - just beat the egg whites with some sugar and cream of tartar until stiff, then fold in sifted pastry flour and additional sugar, and cocoa for a chocolate version. You don't even need to (and should not, for that matter) grease the pan.

Here I made one layer each of chocolate and white angel food cake from one batch. Angel food cake is light, fluffy, sweet, and surprisingly fat-free. It is great with fresh fruit and cream or ice cream, but can also be used in layer cakes. 


No comments: