Sunday, February 23, 2014

Coconut Candy Squares

Sometimes, I create my own recipes using inspiration from others I saw as the basis for my creation. Sometimes I create my own recipes completely on a whim. This recipe is a combination of both, but my real inspiration came from the cupboards. I like to try to use up what I consider my "basket ingredinets" - those are those small quantities of random ingredients you have lying around that you would like to use before they go bad. I combined cracker crumbs, cereal, coconut, and milk chocoalte into this very rich, very very sweet candy-like bar that is sticky and ooey-gooey delicious. 
Coconut Candy Squares
CRUST
1/2 cup butter or hard margarine, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup honey nut flavored oat cereal O's, crushed
1/4 cup honey graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
COCONUT FILLING
2 cups flaked coconut
1 can (300mL or 10 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
CHOCOLATE TOPPING
1 1/2 cups chopped milk chocolate (or milk chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
CRUST: In a medium bowl, stir together the butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Press firmly into prepared pan. Bake for ten minutes.
COCONUT FILLING: Sprinkle one cup of the coconut evenly over the hot crust. Drizzle evenly with the milk. Sprinkle evenly with remaining one cup coconut. Bake for another 15 minutes.
CHOCOLATE TOPPING: Melt the chocolate until smooth. Pour evenly over coconut filling. Let cool, then chill until firm. Cut into squares. 

These are messy and soft, so they are better kept in the refrigerator but they do keep well. Don't wait too long to cut them or the chocolate will get too hard and crack, though milk chocolate does tend to stay softer. A long, sharp knife dipped in hot water and wiped off helps. Although these have three layers, they don't require a lot of ingredients and are quick and easy to make. 

No comments: