Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Cooking Shows

I don't watch much television in general, but when I do, I pretty much only watch cooking shows. Which isn't so easy to do, when you don't even get the Food Network. However, there are other channels that show cooking shows, particularly on Saturday afternoons. Some of my favorite cooking shows are: Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen, Come Dine With Me, Recipes To Riches, Lidia's Italy (which my grandmother started me on), Fabulous Cakes, and my favorites starring Buddy Valastro, Cake Boss, Kitchen Boss, and Next Great Baker. Some of these shows are competitions, some are reality, and some are just straight-forward cooking shows. For the most part, cooking shows are relaxing and educational experiences, especially when you don't have the time, patience, or freezer space to bake yourself. I enjoy watching cooking shows as I always learn something new and get to experience a different way of doing things. However, I do have a few pet peeves with regards to cooking shows.
  1. When the chefs do not wash their hands or decontaminate surfaces after they have come into contact with raw meat or raw eggs. Maybe it is because I have a phobia of cross contamination, but I find this particularly disturbing. 
  2. When the chefs fail to scrape bowls or leave a lot of batter behind. They are wasting!
  3. When the chefs say, "I have one right here already prepared." I know they don't have time to prepare the entire dish on the show, but it just seems like they already have three versions of their dish made in advance, all at different stages in preparation. They could just stick it in the oven and say, "And we'll be right back" and show a clock moving to represent time passing. 
I also find it funny that every ingredient is already measured out for them in small bowls. It is obvious that they have someone else doing the dishes for them!
PHOTO CREDIT:"11949853282019859913television_alexander_d.__01.svg.hi"   http://www.clker.com/clipart-3224.html  . Clker.com, n.d. Wednesday, February 8, 2012.

No comments: