Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bowl Cake

I have come up with a simple, delicious solution to leftover cake and icing. I cannot seem to master making just the right amount of icing when making cakes, so I always either don’t have enough or have some leftover. Also, when decorating cakes sometimes they need to be trimmed (a lot). So, as I absolutely hate to waste anything, I came up with a clever solution to my problem. I’m not sure if I’m the first one to do this, but I have never heard of it before. I call it “Bowl Cake.” Here’s how to make it:

1.      Put the leftover cake pieces in a bowl (size depending on how much leftover cake you have). It’s okay if there is some icing stuck on the cake (in fact, it’s even better). Squish the cake down lightly.
2.      Dollop any leftover icing on top of the cake pieces. Spread it to cover. If cake crumbs lift on to the icing when you try to do this, it’s perfect. If you want, you can put dabs of icing in between the pieces of cake under the top layer of icing.
That’s it! It’s that simple!

I love bowl cake because it is very moist, and you get enough icing with each bite of cake. If you want to make the bowl cake look more sophisticated, you can decorate it with piping, shaved chocolate, whipped cream, etc. This cake isn’t meant to look sophisticated though, since it is the leftovers from the sophisticated cake. If you want, save the entire bowl cake for yourself; you’re the decorator – you deserve it!

Here is a picture of double chocolate bowl cake from when I made Death By Chocolate Cake in my July 24th post.

No comments: